[Talk-gb-midanglia] King's Lynn mapping party?

Chris Dorling chris at tasric.org.uk
Fri May 8 09:35:02 BST 2009

I'd be interested in joining a mapping party in Kings Lynn.  I definitely
can't do 13th June due to being involved in a National Bike Week event, but
currently I'm free the other Saturdays.

I'd be interested in doing Diss on another occasion, as I've been (slowly)
working at villages to the South West of Diss (Botesdale and others).

Chris

2009/5/7 David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com>

> Would people be interested in a mapping party for Kings Lynn for a
> Saturday in June and if so, which - 6, 13, 20 or 27th?
>
> The street layout has already mostly been put in place, though as we've
> discussed on this list before by what means we aren't quite sure:
> possibly personal aerial photography. But it is largely devoid of street
> names and POIs, so though it may look mapped at a distance, it really
> isn't to any degree of usefulness.
>
> King's Lynn is in West Norfolk at the south east corner of the Wash, here:
>

> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.754999999999995&lon=0.397&zoom=11&layers=B000FTFTT&mlat=52.75891&mlon=0.39835
>
> It's around 37,000 people, so is a tad smaller than Bury St Edmunds, so
> it might take 0=9 or 10 of us to complete it in a day. There's the
> Wootons to the north as well.
>
> It's the terminus of the rail line due north from Ely, so is accessible
> by bike with suitable connections from most of East Anglia, about 50
> minutes from Cambridge.
>
> Other larger places with very little mapping which might benefit from
> mapping parties:
> - Thetford (22,000; Norwich - Ely line)
> - Wisbech (21,000; nearest station, March, 8 miles)
> - Sudbury (13,000; hard to get to by rail except from Colchester)
> - Sheringham (7,000; end of the line from Norwich)
> - Diss (7,000; on the Ipswich to Norwich line)
>
> David

Chris Dorling <chris at tasric.org.uk>
07961 108743 (mobile)