[Talk-gb-midanglia] mapnik style sheet

Philip Howarth Philip at Howarth.name
Sat May 9 12:26:19 BST 2009

Steve,

I believe I've found the main problem. I didn't use a default.style sheet
with osm2pgsql.  (I didn't know I was supposed to.)

This has left the database without a number of columns for things like
'construction' (used to mark unfinished roads, I believe). Any mapnik Style
which refers to one of these missing columns, then fails silently. This is
further confused because mapnik may only look for these columns at certain
zoom levels - so the Style works at some zooms and not others.

So, I will go back and repopulate my database...

One minor snag - the ubuntu packaged osm2pgsql is V0.52 and I believe the
latest is actually V0.55.  Do you (or anyone) know if this will cause any
issue? (I don't think I can face learning how to compile the whole thing
from source. Not just yet, anyway.)

The default.style I have found is Rev 14703 at
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/utils/export/osm2pgsql/default.style
Which you checked in 2 weeks ago - so I'm hoping will be OK!

There is clearly an opportunity for a Ladybird book on rendering - the
barriers to getting started seem very high to non software gurus like me!

Regards,

    Philip