[oxoncotswolds] Hanborough area cycle mapping project

Wed Nov 21 18:43:35 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I'm really pleased to say that an OpenStreetMap-related bid I've been
working on with Oxfordshire County Council has just been awarded funding.

We're planning to micro-map existing cycle infrastructure - and possible
locations for future cycle infrastructure - in the area around
Hanborough station, extending out to Eynsham (and the proposed new
Garden Village), Bladon/Woodstock, Witney and nearby.

The intention is that OCC can then use this detailed factual data to
plan cycling provision in the area. It's quite pioneering in that local
authorities across England are being required to produce Local Cycling &
Walking Improvement Plans (LCWIPs) and, as far as we know, this will be
pioneering in using OSM as the evidence base - so it's hopefully
something we can encourage across Oxfordshire and indeed in other counties.

The funding comes from the Open Data Institute and is outlined here:

https://theodi.org/article/invitation-to-tender-local-government-open-geospatial-data-stimulus-fund/

I'll post again with more details and opportunities to get involved as
things develop!

cheers
Richard