[Talk-gb-westmidlands] NaPTAN data import

Brian Prangle bprangle at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 6 08:27:26 GMT 2009

Hi everyone

We discussed at our West Mids meeting last night the best way forward. Here
is what we would like to see happen:

1. Proceeed with the import on the basis of the proposed naptan taggings.
All imported data should have the naptan: prefix as we feel  it is important
to identify the source of the data and differentiate it from OSMer-generated
data
2. If it's easy to code,  generate ways between related nodes for things
like plusbus zones, stopareas etc. We didn't discuss however how to tag
these, so I guess just leave them untagged. If it's going to be difficult
and slow down the implementation, then ignore it and just import the nodes
and we'll have to generate ways manually.
3. Rather than import for the whole West Midlands, just import for
Birmingham as a test area - it's easier for us to cover as there fewer bus
stops in a smaller area, and it also won't piss off our neighbours in
Coventry - most of us are based in Birmingham.
4. The import should not tag the data with highway=bus_stop. We'd rather
have un-rendered nodes that we can see in the editors and then either merge
with existing data  or "switch on" by tagging where we haven't yet surveyed.
It is OK however to tag taxiranks with amenity=taxi (very few people have
been surveying and tagging these)
5. Can we have a csv file of the data so we can keep track of our
verification and record variations, problems on the ground etc. and
co-ordinate activities so we don't go off duplicating effort?  In the future
other OSMers will have the benefit of Christophe's visual tool to do this.
We'll give regular updates here on how we're faring and produce a short
report summarising our experience for future imports.
6. As a local initiative we are proposing to cease using (and convert
existing data) the ref=xx tag for identification plates we find on the
ground as it doesn't currently match any naptan data (and so can't be
regarded as a global standard reference) and we will use instead
asset_ref=xxx. This is Andy's suggestion and as he's the one who's entered
most of this data and he'll have to do most of the work - we all agreed
readily!

Let us know if there are any problems with this

Regards

Brian