[Talk-gb-westmidlands] Postcode map bugs

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 31 01:13:01 BST 2010

No definitive free postcode source is available and there have been multiple
crowd sourced attempts. That link is very good for visualising the
differences between attempts/sources. For each source it works on
interpolation because the postcodes are points, so it draws the line half
way between points the source knows about.

If you click the blue button in the top right of the map (has a white plus
on it) a menu will open up and you can change the source shown. The base
layer is the colour and the overlay is the think blue line, so you can
compare the interpolated lines of the sources. On the left of the webpage is
the information, and some links about each source.

I don't know Birmingham all that well and I couldn't spot the ones you talk.
You will see at the bottom right of the map the word 'Permalink'. Click this
and the address in your web browser will change to the location you are
looking at. If you copy this link it can help when talking about a specific
area. For example, Birmingham is:
http://random.dev.openstreetmap.org/postcodes/?zoom=10&lat=52.43457&lon=-1.85627&layers=000FBT0F0F
It also links to the layers(base map and overlay) that you were looking at,
so from that we can know the sources you saw.

I think the OSM source takes it fromany object (e.g. building, shop, school)
that has a value for the postcode= tag.

Are you already involved in OpenStreetMap or would you like to know how you
can help provide more information for our postcode data, and also other
stuff for the maps?
Usually just adding more places and their postcodes can help that display
look better, as it can interpolate the outline better. But there may be the
odd mistake that throws it off in places.

On 30 July 2010 19:10, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> The postcode map at:
>
>  http://random.dev.openstreetmap.org/postcodes/
>
> is great; but there seems to be some dodgy data in the Birmingham area:
>
>   *   Bits of b23 north of B44
>   *   Bit of B44 east of City centre/ B4
>
> How can this be fixed? From where is the data sourced?
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk