[Talk-gb-westmidlands] Metropolitan Ward Boundaries

Brian Prangle bprangle at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 14:53:05 GMT 2012

Hi Steve

We've finally got round in the West Midlands to adding the Ward boundaries
for Birmingham, but following Tom Chance's experience ( see Dec 08 2011
entry here <http://tom.acrewoods.net/>)  of having the boundary markers
obscure streetnames when the boundaries run down streets as they often do
in urban areas, we have not entered any names yet on the few ward
boundaries that have been entered (nor attempted to stitch them together in
relations).  We have mainly used the outer ones to correct the alignment of
the City Boundary

Also  the rendering of the ward name for instance in the centre of the
polygon will duplicate many place names  and will be rendered on top of
already busy map areas.

This will be an issue in any large non-parished urban area where mappers
start entering ward boundaries.

Ward boundaries are incredibly important as you know in determining
allocation of council resources and in collecting and representing
statistics. Getting them added and rendered satisfactorily will go a long
way to getting OSM more accepted in Council circles.

You name came up in conversation as being the "gatekeeper" to cartographic
style in OSM.

What we are hoping is that you can use your cartographic skills to come up
with a solution for urban wards as the Civil Parish solution in urban areas
with crowded map features will only further crowd the map.

Look forward to your thoughts

Regards

Brian