[Talk-gb-westmidlands] Disability wheelchair curb project

Brian Prangle brian at mappa-mercia.org
Thu Nov 11 20:03:03 UTC 2021

Hi Mark

You have a great project to undertake. It's unlikely I'll have the time to
do a workshop- even a brief one (and I suspect there will be no others
either as we're all volunteers) but the resources I've indicated below
should be a good guide. You know OpenStreetMap already so these resources
should be sufficient for you and there's nothing that can beat learning by
doing!  If you have any questions or problems that crop up then email the
local talk list but frankly there's more activity on the national talk-gb
list and you're more likely to get a rapid response there

Happy Mapping

Brian

Why OpenStreetMap? <https://welcome.openstreetmap.org/why-openstreetmap/>
is a great and brief introduction

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:wheelchair  is a good place to
start for how to map wheelchair access

Wheelmap <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wheelmap> is good app for
showing whether establishments have wheelchair accessibility

Wheelchair routing <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wheelchair_routing>
is a German project but has a wealth of information on highway attributes
to survey and how to map them (in English)

If you only want to map dropped kerbs/ tactile paving then this page
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:kerb> is a good guide

There are a variety of mobile apps to assist in mapping but I find them
clumsy and slow  to use and for beginners it could get overwhelming.
Vespucci is the leader, Mapzen is another. Others may have  a different
opinion.

Best to either annotate a GPS logger in the field (multiple mobile apps
available) and then upload at home/office/cafe to a laptop and edit with ID
(beginners/intermediate) or JOSM (advanced)

Whilst surveying it's easy to miss things so a photo is a good idea
.Kartaview or Mapillary are two "OSM-approved" apps that will upload photos
to your editor of choice, and also make them available to other mappers