[Talk-GB] Milton Keynes enthusiasm

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 19:30:20 GMT 2006

All over Milton Keynes somebody has been 'enthusiatically' adding
roundabouts. Which is good, since there are so many, however:

* I see no evidence for many of them. There are no gps tracklogs, they
can't have come from NPE, and there's no applet tags on them either.

* They are all perfect circles. I suspect that the creator has been
using the JOSM circle tool. It should be there to help get them
roughly circular, before moving the points into the right places.
Roundabouts generally aren't all perfect circles.

* The segment directions are all over the place. They should be lined
up in a circle, and clockwise for UK roundabouts please. (Similarly
for nearby dual-carriageways having both carriageways pointing in the
same direction - they should point in the direction of travel)

* There are an excessive number of segments used. That makes it
fantastically tedious to correct them.

For one of the *less* egregious examples, see
http://www.gravitystorm.co.uk/images/mkeynes.png

So whoever is adding them - firstly thanks!, we do need all the help
we can get, but have a look at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Editing_Standards_and_Conventions
for how we prefer to see roundabouts done, please upload your GPS
tracklogs, and don't let your enthusiasm for creating maps get in the
way of reality!

Cheers,
Andy