[Talk-GB] Motorway and Railway progress (simplifying OSM data)

Jon Burgess jburgess at uklinux.net
Sat Nov 4 23:42:14 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 01:46 +0000, Jon Burgess wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 12:55 +0000, Robert Hart wrote:
> >
> > I've been pondering about creating some kind of "osm-simplify" script.
> > This would take a (filtered) osm input file and output a smaller file
> > suitable for use at low zoom levels.... just need some time to get
> > started on it.
> >
> > Rob
>
> Me too. I've just got a version kind-of working, based on a hack of
> check-osm.pl.

> I'll try to get it cleaned up a little and post something in the next
> day or two.

Here is my initial attempt at a script to simplify an OSM file by
removing data which is invisible at high zoom levels.

The output data should _not_ be fed back to the OSM database. Some data
is lost and corrupted during the simplification process (nodes are
aligned to the grid, segment endpoints are moved to the grid aligned
nodes etc).

	Jon