[Talk-GB] NPE - a cautionary tale

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Nov 20 08:43:56 GMT 2006

Sent by:        talk-gb-bounces at openstreetmap.org
To:     talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
cc:
Subject:        [Talk-GB] NPE - a cautionary tale

>Howdy,

>It looks like two of us had the same idea this weekend - Richmond Park is
nice and big and needs adding. Since my bike is currently broken, I
>decided to trudge round the perimeter (or as close as I could get) - and
it turns out that some bits are quite, quite different from way back in
the >NPE era - specifically, there's a huge golf course in the NW corner,
and another down near Ham in the SE, neither of which are part of the
park. >More interestingly, perhaps, is that one big chunk of the park is
now the (not so nice) Danebury Avenue housing estate, and even the
Beverley >brook river seems to have been re-routed by a few hundred meters
or so. I've appropriately tweaked the NPE-traced perimeter that was added.

>So be very cautious about how relevant the NPE data is nowadays, as even
historical stalwarts like Richmond Park get moved around over the >years.

IMX it's still very relevant in open countryside areas, which seem just
about unchanged (round here at least) since NPE publication. I'm certainly
confident enough of it to add a whole load of country lanes to OSM through
it anyhow...

For obvious reasons it's less relevant in or near towns.

Nick