[Talk-GB] Manchester Mapping in December?

Dave Page grimoire at sparky.ox.compsoc.net
Thu Nov 23 15:04:58 GMT 2006

Hello UK OpenStreetMap people,

I believe this may have been mentioned here before (or at least some
people on this list may be familiar with it), but the Basement Social
Centre in Manchester [1] is holding a mapping festival in December.
Currently a lot of the projects involved are from the perspectives of
art, history, and psychogeography, and I've been trying to get some more
technical, community-driven mapping and geodata projects involved such
as OpenGuides and OpenStreetMap.

The current plan is to have some kind of information board about OSM et
al. on some wallspace, possibly involving printing out an existing
presentation along with some pretty maps. I'm talking to a couple of
people about doing some kind of presentation on Sunday 3rd December, but
if someone more local wants to do it, that could be helpful.

I know there have been OSM mapping events in Manchester in the past, but
I can't tell how good the coverage is because the map tiles for the city
don't seem to have been generated at reasonable levels of zoom. It would
be good however to try and organise another mapping day in December, and
publicise it through this mapping festival. Any thoughts about whether
this is practical and how we'd go about it?

Cheers,

Dave

[1] http://manchester.openguides.org/?The_Basement
--