[Talk-GB] National Cycle Route 1 & 75 around Edinburgh

Shaun McDonald shaunmcdonald131 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 15:20:45 BST 2007

On 9 Apr 2007, at 14:02, Gregory Williams wrote:

> Shaun,
>
> I've been following the naming for ncn_ref that Richard mentions here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?
> title=Talk:WikiProject_United_Ki
> ngdom_National_Cycle_Network
> (under the On Road Routes heading)
>
> Namely, national routes start with NR and regional routes start
> with RR.

Any of the ones around Edinburgh that I have seen don't have a letter
(or letters), only numbers.

> However, I do note that on the following reference page:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:reference

This page doesn't cover when there is two routes along the same way.

I know there is a key for ncn route on
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features#Route>
What is this for?

On <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features#References>
it has a N in the example. Maybe we should expand this to explicitly
state the national and regional names that should be used.
(eg N54)
to become
(eg "N54" for National Route; "R43" for regional routes)

> it states an example starting with just N, implying R for regional
> routes. It'd be nice to know which should be considered definitive.
> Perhaps a maplint rule could then be developed to help us adhere to
> this.

The Map Features page above uses just "N". Personally I prefer the
single character over the double character, as it is less likely to
be misread.

+1 for a maplint rule to help with this.

> Another case of a dual NCN route is NCN 12 and NCN 61 in
> Hertfordshire,
> so the situation isn't unique.

The above information still doesn't clarify this problem. There
should probably be no duplicate tags. How about using a ";" to
separate the route numbers? What problems would that cause?

Shaun