[Talk-GB] Dual carridgeways

Shaun McDonald shaunmcdonald131 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 14:11:43 BST 2007

On 27 Apr 2007, at 10:55, Alexander Wright wrote:

> I've noticed that, in towns especially, you can get two lanes with
> a divider
> between them, technically a dual carridge way, that don't look good
> when
> rendered.

This happens in Edinburgh too.
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?
lat=55.9221509160735&lon=-3.29417479078443&zoom=15> and compare
Mapnik and osmarenderer. Compare a few different levels surrounding
the link.

> Most especially when trunk roads go through towns. The larger size,
> when
> rendered, of trunk roads means that labels tend to get overwritten
> by the
> other carridgeway.
>
> Would it be better to map such roads as a single way with a tag
> "carridges=2"
> and have the renderer do something better?

Since Mapnik can do a decent rendering of the names, this is a
renderer issue and not a data issue.

It is better from a route planning perspective and closeup drawing
point of view to keep the two carriageways separate.

Shaun