[Talk-GB] Fwd: designated cycleway, designated bridleway, designated footway

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 22:42:32 BST 2007

On 8/1/07, Rik van der Helm <rik at the-quickest.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a new member of OSM. I am a walker and planning to map footpathes
> in NL for OSM. Before I do that I want to investigate the tags I need to
> gather. I will put the results of my investigation on the dutch wiki.
> For now I have a question about the descriptions ofbridleway, cycleway,
> footway in the map_features, "designated XXXway". Sofar I can't find a
> proper translation for it in dutch. I think 'designated' means there are
> proper signs along the way which indicate that it is a 'XXXway' ? Maybe
> someone can point me in the right
> direction.

The "designated" refers to their legal status, but in practise this is
pretty much impossible to find out with copyright violations from the
national mapping agency (the Ordinance Survey). Instead, we use
signposts to determine the legal status of a particular route.

I've no idea what the law is like in the Netherlands, but in the UK
(and specifically England and Wales) it is quite prescriptive. The
terms "bridleway" and "public footpath" have specific legal meanings,
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights_of_way_in_the_United_Kingdom
and are especially important in rural areas.

Cycleway is described in law in the same way, but is taken by most
OSMers to describe purpose-built cycle tracks, often in urban areas
but usually modern in any case. Where you can cycle along a historical
path in the countryside, it is most likely that the path is legally a
bridleway, since its legal status could have been defined before bikes
were invented!

I hope this helps you,

Cheers,
Andy