[Talk-GB] Fwd: designated cycleway, designated bridleway, designated footway

Rik van der Helm rik at the-quickest.com
Fri Aug 3 16:28:13 BST 2007

> > Just a quick comment on footpath tagging. Looking at Freemap the majority of
> > footpaths and bridleways are coming up in magenta (=permissive) rather than
> > red (=right of way). If you can verify on the ground that something is a
> > right of way (i.e. there's a signpost or you just know through local
> > knowledge) remember to tag the access rights too:
> >
> > Footpath
> >
> > foot=yes; highway=footway
>
> Interesting. I thought foot=yes was the implied value, which could be
> overwritten with permissive, no etc. But from what you've written, it
> seems like you're taking 'highway=footway' to imply 'foot=permissive'.

Could someone point me to where I can find which attributes are
'implied' on which attributes (nodes,sections,ways) ?

If Andy is right that the term 'designated' in the description of XXXway
refers to the legal status of XXXway, then I see no reason why
XXX=permissive in stead of XXX=yes. But maybe it's an idea to remove the
reference to 'legal status' in the description from
footway,bridleway,cycleway ?

Gr, Rik