[Talk-GB] PROPOSAL - Hampshire footpaths fill the gap party

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Tue Aug 7 13:06:57 BST 2007

Hello everyone,

In the past two weeks or so, due to mapping by myself and (I guess) Andy
Street, the gap in footpath mapping between the Southampton and
Petersfield/Midhurst areas is starting to close. Therefore, given that I've
got plans to go out into that area again in the next few weeks, there's a
real possibility that - with help - the gap could be completely closed,
offering the possibility of a near-continuous swathe of footpath mapping
stretching 50-odd miles from the New Forest in the southwest to the Haslemere
area in the northeast.

However I'd need help to do this. So what I propose is a mapping weekend -
sometime before the end of October - to fill the gap, focusing on the upper
Meon Valley area. This would be geared primarily at walkers (but there are a
few bridleways for off road cyclists) but it could possibly offer a
breakthrough in countryside mapping in OSM and promote the use of Freemap and
OSM for walkers.

So please let me know if you're interested with preferred dates. I can
basically do any weekend in the period except those of September 1/2, and
October 14/15 (proposed Winchester party).

Nick