[Talk-GB] Postcode search on slippy map

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Aug 24 18:06:59 BST 2007

In message <46CF04A5.2060303 at acrewoods.net>
          Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:

> What's the status of this? I've put about lots of codes around my area
> into FreeThePostcode, but when I search for my flat's code it replaces
> the last two letters with "##". So for example "AB12 3CD" just comes out
> with "AB12 3##", which loses a lot of granularity. I have about ten
> codes that fit within that range.
>
> Would it be possible to search down to the penultimate character and for
> exact matches as well?

Well you need to talk to the NPE/FreeThePost code people - we just
make an API call to npemap.org.uk and use the results.

I'm not sure if npemaps queries FTP in real time though, or if they
have a cached copy of the FTP database that might be out of date?

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/