[Talk-GB] Hindhead Tunnel

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 20:53:21 BST 2007

Jonathan Bennett wrote:
> 80n wrote:
>
>> It was me.
>>
>> Yes, it really was surveyed, on foot, up to the point where there road
>> will enter a tunnel (which hasn't been built yet).
>>

> :-O Bloody hell! Was this before or after they brought in the Heavy
> Plant, and started removing heavy plants? I admire your dedication to
> the cause!
>

>> My current thoughts are that we need a tag like highway=construction
>> which can then be qualified with the ultimate class of the road if it is
>> known, producing highway=construction:trunk.  This would not get
>> misinterpreted by renderers or other clients but still provide all the
>> information required.
>>

> Indeed. You could also do the same with highway=planned:<type> to show
> projects that have approval, but where construction hasn't yet started.
>

>> Any other ideas or suggestions?
>>

> Do we need to restrict which zoom levels roads under construction are
> shown on? They might not be very useful at lower zoom.
>
> J.
They might not be that useful at all :)

That said, I went off & entered a 1/2 built roundabout this week - it's
almost done, & will be the 'mount point' for a huge amount of building
work soon.  I figured it won't get anyone lost if they find a 2-exit
roundabout that almost exists :)

I quite like the highway=construction:xxx idea, but perhaps using it
implies a commitment for monitoring it?
Sort of like FIXME tags..
It might also be useful for routing software, along the lines of 'best
avoided' at the junctions.

Mark