[Talk-GB] [OSM-talk] "Unsurfaced road" and "Byway"?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 14:06:58 GMT 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 11:16 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> > Interestingly, you took approved tags that were approved less than a
> > month or so - do you think a freshly approved tag will appear a thousand
> > times a day after it was appoved?
>
> I think he does. Many people don't view the "approval" process as a
> *prerequisite* to a tag being used. So it could very well be the case
> that a proposal is set up for a tag that is already widely used.

Yep, you're right about what I was thinking. I come from the "learn by
doing" school of OSM thought*. I see lots of theoretical discussions
about tagging things where people get caught out by new ideas (the
"Oh!, we hadn't thought of that" problem). Whereas if you come to the
table and say "we've been doing such and such for three months and
learned the following" then that's far more interesting to me.

But I'll say again for those who might have missed it - I have no
problem with people continuing to have theoretical discussions,
voting, and all the other stuff that they want to do. Each to his own.

Cheers,
Andy

* Interestingly, I come from a very theoretical-learning background,
and maybe that's why I find the OSM stuff fun.