[Talk-GB] [OSM-dev] Automating Freemap tile rendering

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Thu Feb 15 13:50:40 GMT 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 11:36:23AM +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> The other option is a "freemap at home" approach but this would require that
> users are able to install Mapnik on their home machines. How easy have
> people found this?

I've been attempthing to put together a VMware "appliance" (read: virtual
machine) to do tiles at home rendering, so that people who don't want to install
and configure all the software can just run it in VMware Player instead. It's
working now, but I just need to tidy some of the menus and stuff (runs Debian,
but no Linux experience necessary to use it, in theory).

Maybe this sort of idea would be applicable to the freemap project, too?

Alternatively, for *ix systems anyway, maybe supply a tarball with a full
environment inside so that you can "chroot /srv/freemap go" to fire it up?

--
Matthew