[Talk-GB] Automating Freemap tile rendering

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Feb 15 21:03:14 GMT 2007

Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Hello Steve and Nick,
>
> Now I'm getting Freemap tiles (for anyone else reading this: OSM tiles
> geared for the countryside with SRTM contours) produced using Mapnik , I
> have one or two questions:
>
> Firstly, is there scope for them to be integrated on the main OSM slippy
> map as an option?

This is really a question of confusing users with multiple sets of
tiles. I'm not strongly for or against putting more layers on... can you
point out the differences between mapnik and your layer? Is it poss to
put an SRTM layer on top of the existing mapnik and get the same thing?

> Secondly, at the moment, for testing purposes I'm using the dev server and
> the live API. However for real working tile generation I see two options.
> One is to use planet.osm on the dev server, generating tiles on demand and
> caching them for a month or until next requested (whichever is the greater
> time period). Would this be acceptable or would this use up too much in
> the way of resources on dev (which is quite stretched already)? There
> would only be two zoom levels - 100 pixels/km and 200 pixels/km.

There is a possibility of new hardware for tiles at home that oliver needs
to action on. nick, andy, 80n IIRC are copied in, I think its
matthew-osm who's organising it. can they/he say something here on
status of that?

re pub meetup next week - will try to get there, talking f2f about this
is much easier :-)

oh and any walking carto suggestions for the carto meetup would be ++useful.

have fun,