[Talk-GB] [OSM-dev] Automating Freemap tile rendering

Robert Scott lists at riscott.ukfsn.org
Fri Feb 16 16:21:20 GMT 2007

On Friday 16 February 2007 08:25, Olivier Macchioni wrote:
> - Creating it is as easy as installing a new computer from scratch, but it
> requires a VMWare license AFAIK (unless you start from one of the free
> pre-built images available, but you will have limitations).
>
> - Running it requires the VMWare player which is free (
> http://www.vmware.com/download/player/). No significant technical skills
> are needed.

This shouldn't be a problem - qemu is able to deal with vmware disk images. On
windows and linux you have the option of kqemu and on linux (on a modern
processor) you also have the option of kvm. Either of which should minimise
many performance problems.

Although I still don't believe that looking at virtual machines to solve
packaging problems is a good longterm idea. It's another one of those
situations where you have to ask yourself what you're actually trying to do.

robert.