[Talk-GB] [OSM-talk] London party maps

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Thu Jan 25 00:47:19 GMT 2007

OJW wrote:
> "Each sector will have a map of the existing OSM coverage, and an
> out-of-copyright street map to help with street naming, and a printout of the
> Yahoo imagery overlain with the existing data (see illustrations)."
>
> Sector 1b seems to already have this on the wiki. But are old maps and outline
> osmarenders available for the other zones?  I'm meeting some people who don't
> want to faff visiting Fleet Street to pick up maps, just get out exploring a
> different part of London without the delay, so can we have some more outline
> maps available they can print before arriving.
>
> Has any aerial-photo tracing been done in advance to put correct street
> positions on the blank maps, or are people expected to do that afterwards and
> correlate it with their notes?
I've been doing lots of photo tracing with the applet in the area
bounded by Park lane, Oxford Street, Regent's street and Picadilly.

Because of shadows and trees, I'm not sure everything I've marked is
really a road, or if I've got every road, so we'd need to walk the
streets to double check everything and get the road names. We could
possibly compare to an old map and then only walk to places that don't
seem to match up.

Robert (Jamie) Munro

(moved to talk-gb list)