[Talk-GB] Out-of-copyright maps

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 5 11:09:41 BST 2007

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>Sent: 05 July 2007 10:48 AM
>To: talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [Talk-GB] Out-of-copyright maps
>
>Interesting addition to the wiki page on ooc OS maps:
>
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Out-of-
>copyright_maps&diff=39120&oldid=28711
>
>The contributor is basically asserting that if a map was published
>1954 and revised 1959, it goes out of copyright at the end of 1954,
>_not_ the end of 1959 (which is what I'd thought previously).
>
>Anyone with further knowledge of this?
>
>cheers
>Richard

This one has perplexed me too. Each time I've read up on it I've been
inclined to think that the new contribution is correct in that the copyright
expires 50 years after the first publication, however the OS published these
revised maps in their own right as revisions (ie most appear in the OS
catalogue as such at the later date when published) so my question has
always been whether the later revision constitutes a "First Published" in
its own right.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson