[Talk-GB] Out-of-copyright maps

Nick Burch openstreetmap at gagravarr.org
Thu Jul 5 12:44:44 BST 2007

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> The contributor is basically asserting that if a map was published 1954
> and revised 1959, it goes out of copyright at the end of 1954, _not_ the
> end of 1959 (which is what I'd thought previously).
>
> Anyone with further knowledge of this?

The last time I spoke to an IP lawyer about this sort of thing (~6 months
back, and he's on holiday so I can't check), the answer was:

* published in 1954, expires 31/12/2004
* published in 1954, republished without changes 1959, expires 31/12/2004
* published in 1954, republished with changes / revisions in 1959, this
    corresponds to a new work (as new copyrightable material has been
    added), expires 31/12/2009

So I believe that if the publication date includes any mention of
revisions or updates, then the later date applies, but if they don't
mention changes, then it's the original date.

Nick