[Talk-GB] NCN refs - consistency

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 22:06:44 BST 2007

Hi all,

There's currently little national consistency with the ncn_ref values.
Variations are:
4 (digits only)
N4 (1 char prefix)
NR4 (2 char prefix)
NCN 4 (3 char prefix, and space)
NCN25 (3 char prefix, no space)
R79 (regional, 1 char prefix)
RR47 (regional, 2 char prefix)
proposed NR41 (free text)

>From looking at the coverage, the first and second are quite popular,
with the 1 char regional routes prevalent, especially in Kent. I'd
like to get some consistency, since it looks a mess on my renderings!

Personally, I prefer the digits only, but I'm not 'into' the national
cycle network much, so I'm interested to see if there is a convention
established elsewhere in print. The signposts I've seen have only the
route number. My personal feeling is that the N prefix is redundant.

I've started tagging London Cycle Network with an lcn_ref tag. Would
we be better off doing similar for the Regional Routes (rcn_ref)? I'd
like to render them differently (red for ncn, blue for lcn is my
current theme) and it's just easier for me to do so based on tags
rather than values.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Cheers,
Andy