[Talk-GB] NCN refs - consistency

Gregory Williams gregory.williams at purplegeodesoftware.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 10:37:32 BST 2007

All,

I'd like to see a consistent format adopted as well.

Many of the Kent routes are ones that I've input. I use the single
letter followed by number format for the following reasons:

- The letter is required because otherwise it's not clear whether you
mean a national or a regional route. I live close to both regional cycle
route 17 and national cycle route 17. I suspect that the initial letter
may have been missed off by some people simply because there aren't many
regional routes in some places of the country. In Kent I'm aware of six
regional routes (11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18) as well as four national routes
(1, 2, 17, 18).
- The second letter "r", meaning route, is superfluous. We know it's a
route.
- Both NCR and NCN are in common use, but it would be just be more
confusing to use these. Especially as the last R/N in these means route
/ network, not regional / national.

BTW, I was the person that added to R79 to the Downs Link in Surrey /
West Sussex. So that's why it matches the format that I use in Kent.
I've also tagged portions of N12, N21, N57, and N61 outside of Kent in
the same way.

I think part of the reason that both the (N|R)x and (N|R)Rx formats are
in common use is that the wiki pages are inconsistent:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:reference
shows an example with the reference N54.

Whereas:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WikiProject_United_Kingdom_Natio
nal_Cycle_Network
shows references like NR1 or Kent RR17.