[Talk-GB] NCN refs - consistency

Wed Jul 11 11:59:00 BST 2007

Andy Allan wrote:

> Out of interest, are these regional routes in Kent formally part of
> the National Cycle Network, or some other regional network? On the
> sign posts, does it say "NCN 17" or have 17 in white on a red
> background, ala the NCRs? For instance, the London Cycle Network is
> completely independent of the National Cycle network, and so have
> different logos, numbering and so on.

Sustrans-"approved" regional routes have the number in white on a
_blue_ background.

The numbering scheme is also within a Sustrans framework: essentially,
a single-digit county prefix (clearly "1" for Kent, "4" for
Oxfordshire, etc.) then a single-digit number:

"Regional routes are an integral part of the National Cycle Network,
serving to link most remaining towns to the Network, and share the
same characteristics as National routes.

"They include a number of established county cycle routes, such as the
Avon Cycleway, which will be brought up to a common standard. For the
purposes of numbering Regional Routes, the UK has been divided into
ten regions, with Regional Routes numbered 10-99 within each region,
number allocation being generally based on the larger counties. The
signing convention will be the same as for the National Routes except
for using a blue, rather than red, number patch."

 From http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1094203233119 .
There's a useful PDF there, too.

Confusingly, some cities have adopted their own numbering schemes, and
in the odd case (Gloucester) they've even done it with NCN-style red
patches, which is thoroughly moronic.

Don't know about London, but I suspect it doesn't fall into the same
framework.

cheers
Richard