[Talk-GB] Fwd: NCN refs - consistency

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 19:48:40 BST 2007

On 7/11/07, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> Andy Allan wrote:
>
> > Out of interest, are these regional routes in Kent formally part of
> > the National Cycle Network, or some other regional network? On the
> > sign posts, does it say "NCN 17" or have 17 in white on a red
> > background, ala the NCRs? For instance, the London Cycle Network is
> > completely independent of the National Cycle network, and so have
> > different logos, numbering and so on.
>
> Sustrans-"approved" regional routes have the number in white on a
> _blue_ background.

> The numbering scheme is also within a Sustrans framework: essentially,
> a single-digit county prefix (clearly "1" for Kent, "4" for
> Oxfordshire, etc.) then a single-digit number:
>
> "Regional routes are an integral part of the National Cycle Network,
> serving to link most remaining towns to the Network, and share the
> same characteristics as National routes.
>
> "They include a number of established county cycle routes, such as the
> Avon Cycleway, which will be brought up to a common standard. For the
> purposes of numbering Regional Routes, the UK has been divided into
> ten regions, with Regional Routes numbered 10-99 within each region,
> number allocation being generally based on the larger counties. The
> signing convention will be the same as for the National Routes except
> for using a blue, rather than red, number patch."
>
>  From http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1094203233119 .
> There's a useful PDF there, too.
>
> Confusingly, some cities have adopted their own numbering schemes, and
> in the odd case (Gloucester) they've even done it with NCN-style red
> patches, which is thoroughly moronic.
>
> Don't know about London, but I suspect it doesn't fall into the same
> framework.

I'm in London, I have seen routes here with the blue background for
local routes, one route I've seen (75) seems to fit in well with the
Sustrans regional numbering (in this case 7 for Surrey, I'd guess it
crosses the border somewhere)

There's something really odd with the routes around here, though.
Route 24 is signed both with red and blue backgrounds along the same
stretch of road. Being a London route, it could possibly be regional
route 24, since London uses the 2 prefix.
Sustrans list their national 'branch' routes on their site. National
route 24 (http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1099305698000) is
nowhere near my route 24. To confuse matters even more, national route
22 (http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1099056191265) is
listed as taking the route that my 24 does.
22 is signed in one location further north, but there's a significant
amount of signage for 24.
I'm rather at a loss as to what is correct here.

Thomas Wood

PS: Oops, sent privately instead of to the list, by accident.