[Talk-GB] Future UK mapping parties

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Tue Jul 17 00:21:43 BST 2007

Abigail Brady wrote:
> On 7/16/07, *Andy Allan* <gravitystorm at gmail.com
> <mailto:gravitystorm at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     ... not in my experience! They all use GPS devices, and the last time
>     I got a taxi he took us to the wrong part of Hammersmith (the
>     streetname was similar to the one we wanted, and pulled out an A-Z.
>

> Was that a real taxi driver (who do have to pass this scary test), or
> a mini-cab person?
I remember recently(ish) getting in a proper London Taxi at City
Airport... and asking for the Road Name I wanted... blank look from the
Taxi driver. I then said Beckton (which is basically the far end of City
Airports runway... still blank looks.... So I had to direct him myself :(

He did seem worried when I got him to stop outside an anonymous building
with Radio Masts on an Industrial Estate.

Cheers
Chris