[Talk-GB] Future UK mapping parties

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 10:14:32 BST 2007

On 17/07/07, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/16/07, Abigail Brady <morwen at evilmagic.org> wrote:
> > On 7/16/07, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > ... not in my experience! They all use GPS devices, and the last time
> > > I got a taxi he took us to the wrong part of Hammersmith (the
> > > streetname was similar to the one we wanted, and pulled out an A-Z.
> > >

> > Was that a real taxi driver (who do have to pass this scary test), or a
> > mini-cab person?
>
> I only take black cabs, so all my experiences are with "real" drivers.
> I think The Knowledge is either something which is passed and then
> quickly forgotten, or else rapidly becoming a legend from days of
> yore.

They all generally know the west end and the city perfectly. And most
can find tube stations and railway stations without difficulty. But as
there is no requirement to take the test on a regular basis, and as
the human brain generally (in my personal experience) resembles a
sieve, it's not something I'd expect most taxi drivers to remember.

Unfortunately the law requiring them to carry a bale of hay in the
boot was repealed in 1976... I despair...