[Talk-GB] GPS vs Potlatch

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Wed Jul 18 17:17:22 BST 2007

Thom Shannon wrote:
> Apologies if this has come up before. But what are the
> arguments/reasons for using the aerial photography or making GPS
> traces. Is the accuracy of either much of a problem? Or is it just
> that the photos aren't so high-res in certain areas, or outdated, so
> GPS is better.

Using the aerial photography on it's own is great if you already know an
area well. However normally it's neccessary to go out on foot(or car or
bike...)  to collect street names or POI's so (I think) most people tend
to work in this mode.

I usually go out and come back with photo's and GPS traces and then
enter these, the aerial photography is still really useful for
additional things like tracing out area's or filling in gaps where GPS
coverage wasn't good.

Cheers
Chris

--