[Talk-GB] Who was mapping Dulwich park? (also make alledits public!)

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu Jul 26 10:16:37 BST 2007

Hullo,

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:48:05 +0100, Richard Fairhurst
<richard at systemeD.net> wrote:
>> I've just noticed someone doing very rapid and cool work around Dulwich
Park,
>> which is cool! It would be good to co-ordinate a bit. Since it was done
in
>> Potlach there are also bits that need cleaning up, which I'm happy to do
in
>> JOSM, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes.
>
> Interested to note the "cleaning up" comment - is there anything I can
> do to Potlatch to make this better? (subject to constraints of ease of
> use/simplicity, etc. etc.)

Here's the area, just have a look in JOSM:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.44551183981207&lon=-0.077243376360124&zoom=15

Problems I've found include:

1. Adding ways to existing nodes often doesn't work, resulting in two nodes
right next to each other. See, for example, way #4946782 (a semi-circular
footway at the top of Dulwich Park). Perhaps Potlatch could be a bit more
obvious when it is connecting a way to an existing node (visually, I mean),
and a bit more zealous to do this?

2. I also can't work out how to start a new way with a new node in an
existing way. For example, there are two parallel ways in place and I want
to add a road that connects them. I usually start it somewhere in the
middle, connect it to one, and then revert to JOSM to finish the job. Maybe
I'm being an idiot!

3. When you create a new node in an existing way, it seems to leave the old
segment in place, so you have to find that in JOSM and delete it;

4. There are some ways over the top of existing, un-tagged and un-wayed
segments. Perhaps Potlatch should show these by default, and make it easy
to erase them? In this case it looks like the segments contained no useful
data and just need to be scrubbed from underneath the new ways;

Any other problems in that area are human problems rather than
technological, like leaving lots of half-done work that makes me wonder if
I should help finish it. Ohhh to be able to get in touch with this person!

Kind regards,
Tom