[Talk-GB] Some newbie questions

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Sat Mar 3 21:44:19 GMT 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 08:23 +0000, John McKerrell wrote:
> > 2) How should I mark up a fire path?  A fire path is where a road is
> > blocked to non-emergency service traffic, often using raised kerbs
> and
> > no entry signs.
> >

> What is it used for generally, could it be a considered a
> pedestrianised road with access permissions for emergency vehicles?
> I'm not completely sure on this one but I'm sure others will have
> more ideas.

In Glasgow fire paths are used to block the ends of residential streets
to stop them becoming over used short cuts.  The idea is that sufficient
obstacles are placed in the road (along with signage) so that only fire
engines can pass.  In reality most cars are prevented from passing (I've
seen a BMW lose its exhaust on a fire path) but vans and lorries still
sometimes bounce across the kerb stones.  Effectively the road is closed
to all except for pedestrians, bicycles, and fire engines.

If this hasn't cleared things up let me know and I'll take some photos
of the one outside my window.

Keith.