[Talk-GB] Viaducts

John Smith john at roundel.net
Thu Mar 8 04:15:12 GMT 2007

Is it just me, or does the concept of a railway viaduct seem completely
flawed?

A viaduct is, by definition, a long thing, so surely railway=viaduct ought
to be attached to a way rather than to a node? By doing so, this precludes
using railway=rail or railway=disused etc.

Of course, a viaduct is really a special case of a bridge, so surely a
solution that fixes these would be to amend the generic bridge tag to have a
yes|no|viaduct valueset.

This could make a viaduct way be tagged with railway=rail bridge=viaduct
layer=1
Or
Railway=light_rail bridge=viaduct layer=1

After all, I can't see any circumstance when a viaduct is also a "normal"
bridge?

I presume that the generic renderers will render a viaduct and a bridge in
very similar ways, if not identically?

What do people think?

John
User:roundel