[Talk-GB] Southampton Mapping Party- April 28/29

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 16:42:22 GMT 2007

On 14/03/07, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:

> >For reference:
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_districts_by_population
>
> >Cambridge = 124,000    Southampton = 222,000
>

> I guessed that Cambridge was under 100,000 using what was probably an
> incorrect assumption, relating to font size on most road atlases. ISTR
> that Oxford and Reading, for example, were in large font (as large as
> somewhere like Manchester) whilst Cambridge and most old cathedral cities
> (e.g. Winchester, Worcester, Gloucester) weren't. I guessed that the
> cutoff for large font was 100,000... maybe it's 200,000?

Dunno, but whatever, you guys had better hurry up! According to that list
Wandsworth has a population of 281k, and that's about 50% complete now.
Enfield is probably gonna give you a hard time too.

Yeah, I know, nobody wants to count nice compact london boroughs. ;-)

(wandsworth is roughly this page:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=51.45386722068338&lon=-0.19341309514178462&zoom=13)