[Talk-GB] New Popular Edition based point-of-interest editor

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Tue Mar 27 00:20:38 BST 2007

Hello everyone,

Would like to announce a demo of a New Popular Edition based OSM point of
interest editor, available at:

http://www.free-map.org.uk/index.php?mode=POIeditor

The idea of this is to allow users to contribute points of interest to OSM
using an NPE slippy map. New Popular Edition maps contain a lot of point of
interest data which could easily go in OSM, and I figured that a web
interface would be the best means to add the information. To avoid the
possibility of duplicate points of interest, existing OSM point of interest
nodes are shown as yellow markers.

Being linked with the Freemap project, the points of interest covered are
generally countryside orientated: pubs, churches, hills, farms, hamlets,
villages, towns and cities.

Future plans include the ability to edit the points of interest e.g. move or
rename them.

I would like to address the possiblly contentious issue of user accounts. The
plan I had was for users to register for a Freemap account, and be able to
contribute points of interest whilst logged in to Freemap. The points of
interest would then actually be uploaded to OSM under a special OSM account
that I have set up specifically for this purpose, so that if anyone does
abuse it, all data contributed under this account could be deleted. Does this
sound OK?

Nick