[Talk-GB] Online POI editor for place mapping party - usability enhancements

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Thu May 17 20:33:01 BST 2007

On Thursday 17 May 2007 19:05, you wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> On 17 May 2007, at 10:47, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > By ditching SVG and using an alternative approach, the online point of
> > interest editor that I mentioned yesterday is now a good deal more
> > usable and
> > faster - so hopefully it will be useful for the place mapping party!
> >
> > The editor allows you to add points of interest on top of an NPE
> > "slippy map"
> > and then specify their type using either full tags or high level
> > "types" such
> > as village, town, pub, etc. In addition, they are automatically
> > given a
> > "source" tag of "npe" (or "landsat" if you're in Landsat mode).
> >
> > It's available at
> >
> > http://www.free-map.org.uk/freemap/edit.php
> >
> > (login with OSM username/password)
> >
> > There are two modes: navigate and add feature. In navigate mode,
> > you can
> > scroll the map, and edit a POI by clicking on it. In add feature
> > mode, you
> > can add new POIs.
>
> In edit or add feature modes, when using Camino (Mac version of
> Firefox) on my MacBook, the pop-up menus don't work at all.
>
> Firefox here doesn't even show up anything after logging in.
>
> How do I put in a linear feature such as a river from the maps?
>
> Shaun

Hello Shaun,

Not sure why that should be - look at "JavaScript console" and let me know if
any errors appear there.

Unfortunately you can't add rivers - only nodes. That said, it's likely
(probably not in the timescale of this mapping party) Potlatch will support
NPE backgrounds in the near future, which will allow you to do this.

Nick