[Talk-GB] Online POI editor for place mappingparty-usabilityenhancements

Barnett, Phillip Phillip.Barnett at itn.co.uk
Mon May 21 10:46:13 BST 2007

Misspelt, huh?

I don't know how David spelt it, but actually, it's spelt Llanybydder -
the 'th' version is an archaic Anglicisation that nobody really uses.

See
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southwest/sites/llanybydder/pages/tour.shtml
for a photo of the town name as evidence.

This shows a problem with using NPE maps as a source - they're not
really authoritative with regard to names, particularly outside England.
(Though I can't speak for Scotland or Ireland)
'dd' in Welsh is pronounced like 'th' in 'their' in English -  that's
quite a common transliteration in Anglocentric maps of the 1950's. This
isn't confined to NPE maps - I emailed some nice chappie in the US
military a while back to correct some of the worst examples in Geonames
- he was very cooperative and changed them for me :-)

There are other common errors I've seen from the brief look I've had -
hyphenations that shouldn't be, and odd transliterations of letter
combinations - of au etc.
Dollgelley for Dolgellau, Brynkir for Bryncir etc etc

Proceed with caution...

Phillip

PHILLIP BARNETT
SERVER MANAGER