[Talk-GB] UK Geocoder algorithm - workable? legal?

John McKerrell john at mckerrell.net
Sun May 27 18:48:18 BST 2007

On 26 May 2007, at 13:44, David Earl wrote:

> I have been wondering about postcodes. We have a postal_code tag
> which can
> be applied to streets and it would be nice to collect these.
> However it is
> not something like name plates that you find in the street by
> observation.

Just thought I'd mention that in some places this is in fact the
case. As far as I know it's only Liverpool and London, but I could be
wrong, might be other places too. The postcode of every street in
Liverpool has the first half on the road sign:

http://www.johnmckerrell.com/files/25-03-07_1020.jpg

or

http://www.johnmckerrell.com/files/PICT2406.JPG

Oddly enough I have occasionally seen the full postcode on new small
apartment blocks too. I always put postal_code tags on the roads I do
(in Liverpool).

John