[Talk-GB] UK Geocoder algorithm - workable? legal?

Shaun McDonald shaunmcdonald131 at gmail.com
Sun May 27 22:50:45 BST 2007

On 27 May 2007, at 16:51, Mike Collinson wrote:

> At 01:44 PM 26/05/2007, David Earl wrote:
>> I have been wondering about postcodes. We have a postal_code tag
>> which can
>> be applied to streets and it would be nice to collect these.
>> However it is
>> not something like name plates that you find in the street by
>> observation.
>> There are about 2 million postcodes in the UK, so gathering them
>> manually
>> via the freethepostcode project is hard. But using data from most
>> other
>> places is subject to copyright.
>
> Answering David's posting very obliquely, how close are we in the
> current search engine(s) to being able to geodecode at the postal
> district level?  (i.e the LS21 part of LS21 3LW; 3,094 districts
> [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_post_codes]).  This would be a
> more modest and achievable interim goal and useful for searching
> features in a roughly 5-10km radius.  Good enough at least for now??
>
> Also, as a full post code is a postman's route, it is very possible
> that many streets straddle more than one full post code so it may
> not make sense to tag it as such - I've no proof of that so far.

Post codes can cover anything from a single house to a whole street
or business park. However it is more common to have longer streets
have many post codes. Where I used to stay had 105 as the max house
number on the odd side and 72 on the even side of the street. The
street had 4 different post codes.

> In my short UK experience so far, postal districts are much easier
> to determine than full post codes as (all?) villages and at least
> smaller towns lie within one such area, so you just need to find
> out  one representative address for an area. The freethepostcode
> project may also already have at least one known point per
> district.  West Yorkshire councils also kindly put them on street
> signs, so better boundaries can be determined over time if folks
> would add a postal_code= tag to a random set of streets in each
> area they map in.

The main parts of post codes are often bounded by main roads, thus
making them easy, if you know the boundaries.
[...]
Shaun