[Talk-GB] [OSM-talk] dangerous cycling lanes (was Re: A new highwaytagging scheme - thinking about)

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 08:49:01 BST 2007

On 9/9/07, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> On 29 Aug 2007, at 12:55, Andy Allan wrote:
>
> > On 8/29/07, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> >> How do you (or anyone else) think I should tag the National Byway?
> >> (http://www.nationalbyway.org)
> >>
> >> If it could be drawn in brown on the OSM Cycle Map that would be even
> >> better. :)
> >
> > I'll do that as soon as there's data to be rendered, just let me know
> > when and what tags, and I'll choose the shade of brown!
>
> Ok, I've added a few miles of the National Byway. Thus far I've
> tagged it as ncn_ref=National Byway - on the basis it's a national
> cycle network, albeit not the National Cycle Network.
>
> A very small part of the National Byway Oakham Loop was already
> tagged as "route=Oakham Loop", so that part is now "ncn_ref=National
> Byway" and "route=Oakham Loop".
>
> Still open to any alternative suggestions for tagging!

OK, much as I'm loath to propose new tags from past experience on the
list, here's some suggestions.

1) New network, new tags

national_byway = yes / proposed / loop / loop_proposed

The loop is for the "50 circular loops" that they mention on their
front page. At http://www.thenationalbyway.org/loops.asp it suggests
they are signed separately, so it's probably worth making the
distinction when tagging.

2) Crowbar into existing ncn tag

Rather than use the ncn_ref tag, use the ncn tag. ncn then becomes

ncn = yes / proposed / national_byway / national_byway_proposed /
national_byway_loop / national_byway_loop_proposed

I'd prefer 1) myself, since it's clearer to me and much, much easier
to deal with! I know there are a few people who object to creating new
tags, which I don't understand, but that's why I make both
suggestions.

Let me know which option you pick, and I'll get it into this week's map.

When it comes to free-text names of routes, I'd suggest tacking on
_name to the relevant tag, in the same way that _ref is tacked on to
different things. So your Oakham Loop is then either:

1) national_byway = loop , national_byway_name = "Oakham Loop"
2) ncn = national_byway_loop, ncn_name = "Oakham Loop"

Cheers,
Andy