[Talk-GB] Speed limits

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Thu Sep 20 10:29:22 BST 2007

On 20/09/2007, Abigail Brady <morwen at evilmagic.org> wrote:

> On 9/20/07, Nick Folwell <nick.folwell at btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> >  What do people use for speed limits in the UK? The "maxspeed=" tag is
> > supposed to be in km/hr. I've started using "maxspeed=30mph", is that
> > consistent with what others are using? Or should we have "maxspeed=30;
> > speedunits=mph"?
> >
> maxspeed=48 ?

48.28?

but even that's not /right/.

I came across a speed limit in Windsor Great Park a few weeks back for 38mph
which is a little odd... I'm not going to encode that as maxspeed=61.1 as
that would seem silly. Apparently they decided on a 60km/h limit in 1973,
but by law have to provide mph signage, and so translated (rounding up).
I say include the units and use the locally defined units. To be compatible
maybe add a new tag for this: maxspeed_localunits=38mph (obviously thinking
up a better name).
Or do it the other way round, so maxspeed_kph=61

Dave

PS. Yeah, I know, the accuracy here is barely relevant... most car speedos
will have a higher error margin than that anyway.