[Talk-GB] Conflicting tagging of london undergound stations

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Thu Sep 20 18:26:41 BST 2007

Tom Hughes wrote:
>>> I think it would be better to use the layer tag rather than the tunnel
>>> tag, but I agree that the whole thing should be railway=subway.
>> I prefer tunnel to indicate tunnels.  In addition, layer=-1 would be useful
>> for where the underground goes in cuttings and has roads cross it on
>> bridges, despite not being in a tunnel itself - the Met does this around
>> Farringdon, as an example.

I don't consider subways to be "in a tunnel"; I consider them to be
simply below (most) everything else.  Besides that, the roads as you say
are on bridges; the subways aren't in tunnels.

> Agreed - layer says nothing about whether something is above or
> below ground. It is purely about establishing a z-ordering for
> objects. If it's in a tunnel we should say so explicitly.

That doesn't contradict what I said.  Both from a rendering, and a
"reflection of real life" standpoint, subways are /below/ the other
stuff (on a lower layer), not just in a tunnel.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"