[Talk-GB] Conflicting tagging of london undergound stations

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu Sep 20 19:08:57 BST 2007

On 20/09/2007 19:03, Alex Mauer wrote:
> Abigail Brady wrote:
>
>> What you are suggesting would lose the subtlety of the distinctions,
>> especially between subway in an uncovered cutting - which will be
>> visible from roads - and subway in an actual tunnel.  Now do you understand?
>
> I'm assuming that the vast majority of railway=subway in the world is
> below ground,

I don't think that is true. Most "subway" systems have a mix, like
London. Take Boston, for example: some parts are in tunnels, some run
down the middle of streets like trams, and in some places they are on
elevated steel structures above the streets. New York, likewise, has
large chunks of "subway" outside central Manhattan which are above ground.

"Subway" and "metro" have come to be interchangeable terms, even though
subway might once have meant a below ground railway, I really don't
think it does any more.