[Talk-GB] [Fwd: Re: Conflicting tagging of london undergound stations]

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 08:16:42 BST 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Talk-GB] Conflicting tagging of london undergound stations
Date: 	Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:13:30 +0100
From: 	Mark Williams <mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk>
To: 	Robert (Jamie) Munro <rjmunro at arjam.net>
<yekwsumg089.fsf at dellow.uk.cyberscience.com>
<223020e60709190856v703eb999w1b990f8b60b50399 at mail.gmail.com>
<46F1A08A.9060402 at arjam.net> <fcsfbn$jms$1 at sea.gmane.org>
<68e55ace0709200100lcee4bb6t5a917412ac93d614 at mail.gmail.com>
<yekfy19g3v4.fsf at dellow.uk.cyberscience.com>
<fcuagp$p86$1 at sea.gmane.org>
<68e55ace0709201055t4777dd05s427ea68a3df7406f at mail.gmail.com>
<fcucl3$1c0$1 at sea.gmane.org> <46F2D24B.2070501 at arjam.net>

Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:

> Alex Mauer wrote:
>
>> I'm assuming that the vast majority of railway=subway in the world is
>> below ground,
>>

> You're assuming wrong. Only 45% of the London Underground is actually
> tunnels. The other 55% is above ground. I expect other cities are similar.
>

>> and therefore that requiring an additional tunnel=yes tag
>> on 90% or more of the subway ways, is not as good as treating the
>> below-ground portions as a lower layer (whether it's -1 or -2 or -10000
>> is beside the point)
>>

> It might be better to abolish rail=subway and just use rail=metro. It's
> then obvious that you only put tunnel=yes when it is in a tunnel.
>
> Robert (Jamie) Munro

For what it's worth, London underground is of course on many layers - to
some extent, each line wants a different layer tag as they cross at
varying depths.
OTOH I'm not sure how relevant it is, as the layer tag is largely for
rendering & how important is it to render the levels right on a map?
I personally would want it right, because it's there.

Both tunnel & layer have their place, I would agree with the idea of the
default for rail=subway/metro being tunnel=yes, even for London at 45%
correct! I think I'd default layer as -3 though as not much goes under
the Tube, but covered rivers go above it & I bet they're all -1 at least.

Mark