[Talk-GB] Mapping the unloved and unwashed

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 12 00:40:43 GMT 2008

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
> A quick scoot around our green and pleasant land reveals a number of really
> unloved places (Why are so many in Lincolnshire!). We need ideas on how to
> get these places on the map, whether it be motivating the natives or sending
> in the OSM swat teams to raise the profile. I'd like to hear your crazy as
> well as sensible ideas :-)
>
> In no particular order:
>
> Scunthorpe
> Grimsby
> Lincoln
> Doncaster
> Darlington
> Middlesbrough
> Sunderland
> Perth
> Bolton
> Northampton
> Newport
> Plymouth
> Weymouth
>
> I'm sure you can spot plenty of others too.
>
> Cheers

Basildon, in Essex.

I can't think of many reasons anyone would go there, other than perhaps
bowling at Bas Vegas or walking round, well, the bits I've already
walked round... It's all a bit chavvish with added drug users.

It needs a mapping party sometime - I think I'll look at that when the
weather picks up though, Basildon in the rain is just too awful :)

Although I did see on Ito-world that someone's done a bit recently.

We could do a mapping party with 10-pin bowling after; there may well be
somewhere amenable to accommodating us for the day.

Has anyone tried a geocaching event with mapping included? Sort of
'cache in maps out' as it were... it should pick up some GPS owners.
I've never understood why there's so little crossover with that. There
are really quite a lot [of geocaches] in & around Essex.

Can we convince one of the pub listing or similar websites to take on
our mapping? This would give some fairly public places an incentive to
get their area done, at least. Things like WI & religious groups often
have a website & don't want ads all over it as well, and could use clean
maps, and have lots of activists - mostly without GPS in my experience,
though.

Mark