[Talk-GB] Yet another rail network map

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Dec 18 10:52:17 GMT 2008

On 17 Dec 2008, at 22:03, Steve Chilton wrote:

> Bizarely, the day Kaerest released his openrailmap I had rendered a
> UK rail network map - purely for visualisation and checking
> purposes, but have only just had time to upload it to the server.
> It is at: http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~steve8/railway.html
> No particular plans to enhance it or add details.
> It is just a companion to: http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~steve8/canal.html
> which has been re-rendered with last week's UK planet file.

Great stuff (and great minds!). Is there an agreed (or common)
approach to tagging abandoned/dismantled railway stations? There isn't
anything in map features about it, but it would be great content to
have in there in OSM, particularly for those with an interest in
historical railways. To render historical stations on these maps would
encourage contributors (as in 'render and they will come').

What about proposed lines and stations? There are a number of these in
the UK and again it would be very useful to be able to see where they
were. railway=construction construction=rail? railway=proposed
proposed=rail?

On the subject of historical railways, can one use start-date and end-
date attributes to animate the life of the UK's railway network,
watching it growing a shrinking over the years. There may be some
complex cases where a line opened, closed and was then re-opened, but
we could leave that for now in order to get the basic information in.

Could these maps render the 'lanes' tag, around which there seems to
be an emerging consensus  for showing the number of tracks, typically
1 for single track working, 2 and the 4. The rendering should use a
different style for single track working and multi-track, typically
using a different symbol.

How about rendering speed limits using colour? There are some sections
of track with max-speed already, but this rendering would greatly
encouraged if it for other areas.

Regards,

Peter