[Talk-GB] Yet another rail network map

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Dec 18 11:48:28 GMT 2008

On 18 Dec 2008, at 11:12, Shaun McDonald wrote:

> On 18 Dec 2008, at 10:52, Peter Miller wrote:
>

>> Could these maps render the 'lanes' tag, around which there seems to
>> be an emerging consensus  for showing the number of tracks, typically
>> 1 for single track working, 2 and the 4. The rendering should use a
>> different style for single track working and multi-track, typically
>> using a different symbol.
>
> I'm starting to come round to the thinking that we should use one
> way for each track, as often happens now in stations. You can then
> get detailed to the point of where you can change tracks, and which
> tracks actually have a platform against them.

Doing the track layout within the station is something I am sure that
railway people will want to do - indeed they won't be able to resist
doing it :) Do lets get the separation of the track true-to-life though.

With regard to long sections of parallel track between stations I
suggest the 'lanes' tag could be suitable, if not then the parallel
tracks would need to be placed the correct physical distance apart and
then the renderers would need to be able to simplify the presentation
down to a single line for wider area maps and do two track far enough
apart so that they can be distinguished from each other for close up
maps.

Sounds like we are going to need to 'suck it and see'. Possibly we
should go for the most detailed representation on the ground and then
use relations to associate elements together to help the renderer.

Regards,

Peter