[Talk-GB] Yet another rail network map

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Dec 18 11:55:10 GMT 2008

On 18 Dec 2008, at 11:12, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:

> For features with a previous use (eg abandoned stations) I have more
> of as
> problem at this juncture of the project. At some point I'd really
> like to be
> able to record some historical map data but I don't feel we have the
> tools
> and editing visualisation to do it properly at the moment. I also
> have a big
> concern about how old features which have now been lost (no visual
> representation) can reside with objects that are at the same
> location today.
> In some cases, especially for roads, parts of old may be
> incorporated into
> the present.

Ok, so the only abandoned stations that should be included are ones
where the actual station still exists, even if it has been re-
purposed. An abandoned station with the old platform visible and
possibly a derelict building could be shown as
railway=abandoned_station.  A re-purposed station could possibly be
tagged as building=restaurant and railway=abandoned_station?

If all physical evidence of the station has gone then it should not be
marked.

Should the same rules apply to railway lines and to other historical
features - ie if they have completely gone then they should not be
marked?

A railway line that is now a footpath, or a cycle path or even an
identifiable strip of wildlife and tress should be shown but if it is
now plowed fields then it should not be shown?

Peter